Monday, January 27, 2014

We made it!


We finally made it to Texas just after midnight on Saturday (or should I say Sunday!).  Harley made it too even after a delay in our flight due to a broken over head bin.  He was very happy to see us when they brought him up.  We made it to the corporate apartment and had the kids finally settled down about 2 a.m.  Needless to say we did not make it to 8:00 am church, opting instead for a somewhat peaceful Sunday after the kids had slept in a little.

This last week was one hectic marathon with finishing school, grades, preparing for the movers to come, having them there, and cleaning the house before heading to the airport Saturday evening.  I could not have gotten everything done without the help of both our mothers who graciously took the kids out to play so I could get things done, wonderful friends and neighbors who came to help me clean, gave us a room to sleep in, and drove us to the airport.  The only thing I wasn't able to do was make it to Aaron's grave one last time before heading out, buy my wonderful Mother in Law loving placed a heart shaped wreath there before she left.  Thank you all sooooo much!

School Registration has been one big headache today. I knew it would be difficult but ahhhhhh! So TX does not recognize ALPS (Accelerated Learning Program) as Talented and Gifted, nor do they recognize that on Charley's transcript that H stands for Honors. I also explained that Charley was designated TAG in OR before moving to UT but they wouldn't accept that either even though it was the same system (essentially its just letters we are talking about here!) Also because UT calls their classes by different names they do not recognize Charley as having completed Algebra nor would they accept the Jordan District's explanation nor mine as a licensed Utah Jr. High math teacher. So they are making her take 3 math tests to verify she has sufficient skills to master Algebra at the Univ. of TX at a cost of $145 that we get to fork out. When I just asked if they would test her themselves for TAG again they said yes but it would take up to 30 to do the testing because there were 2 others in line in front of her and they can only do one at a time, really????? I asked why they couldn't accept the national Explore test administered by ACT that she had a perfect score on or why they couldn't just call the ALPS department at the district to have her scores faxed over, really this shouldn't be sooooo hard. So needless to say, today has been rather frustrating!

We move into the house Wednesday morning and Ronny thankfully is taking the day off to give me a hand.  I am looking forward to getting settled and back into a normal routine!