Friday, June 10, 2011

Better Day!

(The nurses mentioned one day they were always short on gel pack covers. I thought making some more would be a great project for the kids to work on while they were off track. We completed 31 and took them up this week!)

I've been getting emails and calls telling me I need to post, sorry! So we've been waiting to hear results of all the tests and cultures and x-rays they have been running. We've been calling and going up to see Aaron each day. The word has been "more tests are needed", "we're still trying to figure things out". They did put in a larger tube to vent his stomach and that seems to have done the trick. In the last 3 days his stomach went from 18.5 cm to 15.5 cm. It looks like he had a lot of gas that just wasn't making its way through and that was causing things to get backed up. They are going to let the cultures go another day but so far nothing has grown. If his x-ray and labs look good this morning he will start his feedings again today and hopefully I'll get to hold him today as well.

Wednesday night I took Charley up to see him for the first time. Unfortunately I forgot my camera. We walked into the unit and a nurse we've had came right over and said, "You must be Charley!" We scrubbed in and Charley got to see Aaron for the first time. She looked at me and said, "Mom he is soooo small! I didn't realize how small he was. But Mom, he is soooo cute!" After about 10 minutes Charley was getting sick to her stomach and needed to go to the waiting room. I told her not to worry, I get that way too sometimes in hospitals.

Last night I went up and found that Aaron had had another blood transfusion and all his labs and x-rays were looking better. The day nurse failed to mention that when I called and asked how he was doing. He looked really good last night and was a mighty tired boy. He woke up just long enough for me to change his diaper and take his temp. I then read to him for about 30 min. and when I looked in he was sound asleep.

(I just called up and learned that Aaron was just approved to start feedings immediately and that I can hold him once again. Hooray!)


Cindy Lou said...

Thank you so much for posting, I was beginning to worry (a.k.a. worry more than normal) about Aaron and the rest of the family. I am so glad you get to hold him today, he's had a rough few days and mommy cuddles will be nice for him. Also Aaron is and has been added to other church prayer lists of co-workers, being LDS, this makes me smile and shows that our prayers are heard and answered.

Sant Family said...

My internet has been spotty on our trip, but I am trying to catch up! Thank you for keeping us updated. You never ever get used to the ups and downs of the NICU. The good news is that you guys definitely have a lot more good days that bad. Aaron is one tough little dude!

I am so glad that you get to hold him again! We will add his name to the temple in Spokane today,

Love, Tifani